[ RadSafe ] Luggage/package X-ray Screening Safety Standard (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wes Van Pelt WesVanPelt at verizon.net
Sun Mar 16 09:42:01 CDT 2008

Walt and All Radsafers,

I just read the FDA rule on cabinet x-rays. (Sec. 1020.40 Cabinet x-ray systems.) One section puzzles me. Think of airport luggage scanning x-ray machines. It seems that a human body part can enter the chamber and be exposed to the beam. One could stick an arm or head thru the flaps and be exposed. In the extreme, a baby in a baby carrier could ride thru the machine and get exposed. Yet, the FDA regs clearly state:

	"(3) Ports and apertures. (i) The insertion of any part of the human body through any port into the primary beam shall not be possible."

Does anyone know how this is resolved? Perhaps I am missing something.

Best regards,
Wes
Wesley R. Van Pelt, PhD, CIH, CHP
Wesley R. Van Pelt Associates, Inc.