[ RadSafe ] Consideration of the Nuclear Option

J. Marshall Reber jmarshall.reber at comcast.net
Mon Dec 7 10:27:44 CST 2009

On Dec 1, 2009, at 6:30 PM, Wade Allison wrote:

> Dear RADSAFERs
> I am responsible for this. I was using radsafe as an emailing list without looking at the house rules. I am so concerned about the message that I have been using all methods of getting it out. However I apologise if it seemed anonymous or I have misused your list. I have only just joined although I have been trying to write a book that would get "through" 60 years of misunderstanding for nearly four years. Perhaps I have made it understandable, perhaps not. If not, someone else should try. My children and wife say that they can understand it,  and my students and ex-students are very supportive. The science is all there although the biology is sketchy. What do you all think?
> Regards
> Wade Allison
>
> Professor Wade Allison, MA DPhil  w.allison1 at physics.ox.ac.uk
> Denys Wilkinson Bldg., Keble Rd, Oxford, UK
> Fellow & Tutor in Physics, Keble College, Oxford, UK
> "Radiation and Reason" http://www.radiationandreason.com <http://www.radiationandreason.com/>  (Oct09) 0-9562756-1-3
> "Fundamental Physics for Probing and Imaging" http://www.oup.co.uk/isbn/0-19-920389-X <https://winfe.physics.ox.ac.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.oup.co.uk/isbn/0-19-920389-X>  (Oct06)
>
> ________________________________

Having been associated with the Nuclear Industry since my employment at the Savannah River Plant and Laboratory in the late 1950's, I have been acutely aware of the inability of the industry (both government and private) in the USA to sufficiently inform the citizenry in order for them to make rational decisions about the pro and cons of nuclear technology.  What used to be a fascinating aspect of unseen nature to study in high school has become a political anathema in many school districts.

Therefore I immediately responded to Prof. Allison's original announcement by purchasing his book.  It recently arrived, and although I have not yet completely read it through I am fully in agreement with these two quoted recommendations:

>        "I very much agree with the conclusions of this book, and am very pleased to see them presented in a style that makes them accessible to the general reader."
> - Sir Eric Ash, FRS
>
>        "If Professor Allison's well-documented arguments are right - and if people can be persuaded to examine them! - his book gives us a little more hope of confronting the     problems posed by both dwindling fossil fuel reserves and the release of their waste products into the atmosphere.
> - Michael Frayn, author and playwright

We need more more pro active contributions from industry insiders!

Three cheers for Prof. Allison,

J. Marshall Reber, ScD
165 Berkeley St.
Methuen MA 01844