[ RadSafe ] Europium-252 identified instead of Bismuth-214

Lidia Silva lsilva at itn.pt
Tue Mar 24 12:09:18 CDT 2009

Hi Mike,

Just a curiosity: are you using NaI ou HPGe detectors?

If you can cross-check the decay probabilities with the peak areas, you should be able to do the same for the 1408 keV line; if your peak is too small, then acquire the spectrum for a longer period of time.

Unless you have a huge Compton continuum, the 121.7 keV peak of Eu-152 should be visible (if this radionucle is present in the sample).

Anyway, the problem of incorrect radionuclide identification is frequent: the "standard" libraries have a lot of radionuclides, with overlapping energies. A good approach is to build your own library, for the purpose of your measurements.

I hope this helps. Best regards,

Lidia