[ RadSafe ] Salsman warning

James Salsman jsalsman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 13:40:49 CDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Syd H. Levine
<syd.levine at mindspring.com> wrote:

> Mr. Salsman is an idealog and has never done anything wrong in his life

I'm not an ideologue, I am a realist, and I readily admit mistakes
when contradicted by authoritative sources.  For example, around 2005
I suggested that uranyl nitrate was a potential contamination problem.
 I admit that was incorrect.  Although U-N compounds form after
uranium combustion above 800 deg. C, they do not persist.  I am
grateful and appreciative to the NRC employee and the RadSafers who,
if I remember correctly, both set me straight on that point.

> complaining about a difference of opinion to someone's employer
> is a low down dirty trick.

In the particular circumstance in question, I asked for a retraction,
cited the most recent literature reviews, explained why it was all
fully in support of that request, but I was unable to reach any kind
of a resolution that didn't involve an apparent expert making
un-retracted erroneous statements about tens of thousands of
preventable deaths contradictory to the most reliable portions of the
peer reviewed medical literature on the subject.

What is the best course of action?  At the time it seemed like
indicating to the colleagues of the person making the statements in
question that he might not be acting in their firm's best interest was
appropriate.  What would have been a better way to proceed?  Is there
a difference between the most ethical and most practical courses of
action?

Sincerely,
James Salsman