[ RadSafe ] Approaching nuclear power dialogue

Jeff Terry terryj at iit.edu
Thu Apr 8 11:21:50 CDT 2010

I agree that people must always be engaged with science. However, I
agree with Ahmad that it should not be the nuclear industry itself
that does the engagement. This tends to look self-serving.

There are plenty of loud-mouth academics who should actually be
speaking to the public and politicians. In fact, most people take
kindly to education efforts of this type. I honed an energy policy
talk featuring nuclear energy by speaking to groups that I thought
would be overtly hostile.

One of the best comments that I received was that "no one had ever
said things like that to us before." It does take some effort to set
the talks up, but most groups like to have free speakers.

Jeff

Jeff Terry
Asst. Professor of Physics
Life Science Bldg Rm 166