[ RadSafe ] RadSafe - an international list?

Dan hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 17:14:30 CDT 2010

Lieber Franz!

How is the weather in Austria? How I miss the Styrian Alps!  Spring
has sprung here and the pollen count is climbing and my allergies are
back. I have a sunburn from bike-riding over the weekend in Las Alamos!

As you well know, the US is still hung on the old SI unit of Curies,
etc. but please remember that I still report data in the unit that
they were originally measured, be that cps (counts per second), pCi/L,
times bacground, dpm or pounds U3O8. To do differently would be a dis-
service to the data and scientific method of reporting.

Uranium is still sold as $/lb U3O8 and even if I measure it in Tonnes
U or Kg U I will still report the commercial quantities.

Were it not that the US EPA, NRC and others still use the old
measures, I'm sure the rest of us would have followed decades ago.

Incidentally, when I prepared the export / import paperwork for my
check sources from France to the USA, I did it both in Bq and pCi
values, citing IAEA, IATA and CFR (Code of Federal Regulations)
standards. Regardless of the unit, the international  limits for
exempt quantities are identical.

Of couse while overseas, I immediately use whatever units eveyone else
uses and I am happier with Bq, Sievert, and Gray as well as meter, Kg,
L, etc.

Enjoy the Spring weather in Vienna. I prefer the Alps around Trofaiach
in summer to Vienna.

Glückauf!

Dan ii

Dan W McCarn