[ RadSafe ] Radioactivity from volcanic eruptions?

Joseph Alvarez jalvabeta at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 10:09:30 CDT 2010

Bjorn
I have looked for a good source, but have not found one. There are a few
articles for selected areas, but nothing generic. I have measured the
radioactive content of materials in several locations of the western US
(results unpublished). I found  basalt was typically less than 30 Bq/kg for
the uranium and thorium series radionuclides and rhyolite ranged from 500 to
1800 Bq/kg for the same radionuclides. A rhyolite source of volcanic dust
might raise the background, but only if you had a considerable deposit.
Joe