[ RadSafe ] Radioactivity from volcanic eruptions?

Maury Siskel maurysis at peoplepc.com
Fri Apr 16 13:28:15 CDT 2010

Interesting article looks into both sides.
Best,
Maury&Dog (MaurySiskel maurysis at peoplepc.com)
___________________
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/ashfall.html

"... I will restrict my comments to the Chattanooga Shale since I am
more familiar with it. While examining Mr. Froede's paper, I tried to
keep an eye toward whether there is evidence for his hypothesis in the
Chattanooga Shale. After studying it, however, it appears that there are
several evidences present in the Chattanooga Shale that speak against
his hypothesis.

Do volcanoes supply sufficient radioactive elements to equal what is
seen in rocks?

Mr. Froede's entire thesis is that volcanic rocks contain sufficient
primary uranium to account for the amount observed in the Chattanooga
Shale. He states:

    Many volcanic ash deposits have been identified as containing
significant levels of radioactive elements. Daniels (1954, p. 193-194)
cites the collection of many volcanic ash deposits which were found to
contain both uranium and thorium.

However when reading Daniels, we find:

    Lava and ashes, both acidic and basic, from many different volcanoes
contain less than 1 ppm up to 11 ppm of uranium. In most cases the alpha
counts are high enough to show that thorium is present also. The amount
of radioactive materials given off by volcanoes is small, and it varies
greatly with the location of the volcano and with the stage of eruption.

Daniels' data is substantiated by Zielinski (1982, p. 200), who reports
uranium concentrations of 8 ppm in fresh, glassy, rhyolitic ash from the
Troublesome Formation of Colorado. However, analyses of the Chattanooga
Shale (Hickman and Lynch, 1957, p. 20) show that the average
concentration of uranium in the Chattanooga Shale is .006 percent or 60
ppm. From the cited references, it would appear that volcanoes are
incapable of supplying even this low concentration of uranium, at least
as a primary deposit. ..."