[ RadSafe ] Help with Westinghouse SV type arrestor (UNCLASSIFIED)

Falo, Gerald A Dr CIV USA MEDCOM PHC Jerry.Falo at us.army.mil
Mon Apr 26 14:26:32 CDT 2010

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Rich,

It seems to me that what you are measuring is the U/Th content of the
porcelain insulation because it looks like you have a picture of what
I'd normally call a surge suppressor (albeit a very large version:
http://www.nemaarresters.com/files/SiC%20Arrester%20Identification.pdf.
If it's an older model, then it's possible that the arrester has a spark
gap
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark_gap#Spark_gaps_as_protective_devices
), which might contain Cs-137 or Ra-226.  See also,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_carbide.

Jerry

The statements and opinions expressed herein are my responsibility; no
one else (certainly not my employer) is responsible, but I still reserve
the right to make mistakes.

Don't panic! - Douglas Adams in "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Gerald A. Falo, Ph.D., CHP
U.S. Army Public Health Command (Provisional) - Health Physics Program
jerry.falo at us.army.mil
410-436-4852
DSN: 584-4852