[ RadSafe ] *****SPAM*****: Help with Westinghouse SV type arrestor

MARTINSON Tim (CANBERRA) TMartinson at canberra.com
Mon Apr 26 14:40:09 CDT 2010

Hello Mr. Wagner

   In my past experience with an electric utility we would periodically
get calls from scrap yards regarding these materials. Particularly
porcelain insulators, usually from our own power lines and transmission
equipment being stripped and scrapped when new lines were installed and
equipment upgraded. The insulators contain Uranium/Thorium and in some
cases Potassium as a component of the porcelain. Old metal cross buck
supports sometimes had U/Th as a component of their hot dip Zinc
coatings.

Regards,

Tim

Tim Martinson