[ RadSafe ] Radiation scare tactics

Clayton J Bradt CJB01 at health.state.ny.us
Thu Apr 29 13:04:06 CDT 2010

John Rich wrote:

   Radsafers

   with all the discussion on the new "reveal all" book about Chernobyl, it's
   worth considering an unintended consequence of the radiation "scare
   messages" that was discussed at a meeting of the Midwest HP chapter.
   (Something that hadn't occurred to me, but thankfully others are aware of
   it and are trying to come up with working strategies.)

    As a result of the MSM continually shouting about how lethal, deadly,
   etc, ANY radiation is - -  first responders, hospitals, and even some
   doctors will not commit to being available to treat people in the event of
   an improvised radiological dispersion device.   I don't have any
   specifics, but it turns out that at least a few hospitals are thinking
   about refusing to let contaminated individuals into their emergency rooms,
   and what's even more discouraging is that first responders are equally
   hesitant about dealing with radiation contamination.  (The discussions
   indicated that they'd enter a burning building, but not if it had
   radiation contamination.)

   It sounds like the NCRP and ICRP need to get a document out from a
   "trusted source" that puts contamination into perspective.  In the
   meantime, is there something that the HPS can do officially, again as a
   "trusted source?"

   I've started talking to friends, neighbors, etc to get a message out
   there, but haven't started sending letters to the editor yet.  If the HPS
   could come up with some good words, I'd be more than happy to spread them
   around.

   Disclaimer, - -these are not the thoughts, positions, or opinions of my
   company or management.  I guess that's why they're so clear and well
   reasoned.  ;-)
   enough  - -jmr

The problem is that there are no trusted sources anymore.

Clayton J. Bradt
dutchbradt at hughes.net

"The US will always do the right thing after it has exhausted all other
possibilities."    - Winston Churchill
IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure. It is intended only for the addressee. If you received this in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not distribute, copy or use it or any attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.