[ RadSafe ] Radiation scare tactics

Jean-Francois, Stephane stephane_jeanfrancois at merck.com
Thu Apr 29 15:28:24 CDT 2010

 I may understand the issue on this topic but it is our job to validate the info first with our local first responders. Ask them How they would react in such and such scenarios.

I did train our in-house response team and I did train outside responders as well. They don't look to me as people who would wait before saving lives. But they have a safety protocol to respect and I did not see emotional issues with radiations.

If you talk about medics, there reaction is expected as in my medical first responder training, it is our life first that we need to protect. That is the key message. Therefore, I would doubt that a medic would enter a burning building and not a potential contamination scenario. They are likely to wait for someone in a position of authority (and knowledge) before acting in any of these two scenarios.

So what Sandy have higlighted is more soemthing that I have observed myself. Some responders are well-informed and trained, others are not and I hate to break it to you, a few hundred millicuries of radioactive material may not excite trained individuals who are used to deal with a full tanker of propane on fire, quite the opposite...

Somehow, I can't stop thinking that perhaps we are also responsible of this mess, according more importance to HAZMAT procedures with radioactive materials then regular HAZMAT, to the point that one firefighter once asked me what to wear if a truck, containing radioactive material was on fire...Can you imagine Tyvek level A suit in a 300 degrees environment ? But what he saw was the radioactivity only. Is this selective tunnel vision ?

My two cents.

Stéphane Jean-François
Stéphane Jean-François, Eng., M. Env., CHP. | Manager, Environment and Health Physics
Safety and Environment | Global Compliance Division
Merck in Canada | 16711 TransCanada Hwy. | Kirkland, QC, Canada H9H 3L1
Office: #9-2-448 | P: 514-428-8695 | f:  514-428-8670 |
stephane_jeanfrancois at merck.com