[ RadSafe ] Relaxing ICRP dose limits not prudent

parthasarathy k s ksparth at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 4 00:07:46 CDT 2010

Brennan Mike

I entirely agree with you.

The justification for proposing high values for dose limits is on the assumption
that repair processes will operate at low doses thereby canceling the adverse
effects if any. I believe that there is limited evidence to support the
assumption. A few days ago I brought to the notice of the list two interesting
papers which indicated that the repair processes are  not that perfect. I have
sought the views of the list on those papers. I am including it again at the
end.

The actual radiation doses are only a small fraction of the respective dose
limits. I believe that we must keep the present ICRP limits in force till there
is irrefutable evidence to relax the values

The following papers  reveal the complexities of  the DNA repair mechanisms

DNA mutation rates raise curtain on cause of cancer
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2010-07/bu-dmr063010.php >

Scientists uncover novel role for DNA repair protein linked to cancer
< http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2010-07/tu-sun063010.php >

The finding that the process of repairing DNA damage itself causes more
mutations
is worrying. No wonder one may have to continue to accept LNT concept for the
time being as a precautionary approach.

Any comments?

Regards
Parathasarathy