[ RadSafe ] NET iquette

Jean-Francois, Stephane stephane_jeanfrancois at merck.com
Mon Aug 9 08:11:17 CDT 2010

The whole deal about identifying oneself is not related to competency or credential, it is really linked to the etiquette or lack of it on certain discussion servers. Some employers does not even allow participation to such list for evident publicity or image reasons, as employees may get carried away. That being said, it is easy to get carried away if you don't properly identify yourself. Having an email is not a proper identification.

Now, about emails, it may simply be noted that a gmail, hotmail or live.com adresses carry less weight then a US.org, a DOD or a IAEA address. The latest may be CNN or FoxNews material so Radsafers from key organizations are simply careful in what they write, this is a very good side effect of proper identification or credential.

But no matter the address, if the content is in link with radiation safety, health physics and even political issues around these topics, I, personnaly, am glad to read and many time, learn from the posting.  I will simply use caution or use my delete button, if the signature is only Joe, or the address is ''antiNuke334'' ... Everyone on this list have a delete button, I am sure. You can even use a program to systematically delete senders....

My opinion only.

Stéphane Jean-François, Eng., M. Env., CHP. | Manager, Environment and Health Physics
Safety and Environment | Global Compliance
Merck (Canada) | 16711 TransCanada Hwy. | Kirkland, QC, Canada, 9H 3L1
Office: #9-2-448 | P: 514-428-8695 | f:  514-428-8670 |
stephane_jeanfrancois at merck.com