[ RadSafe ] "Countdown to Zero" disarmament movie

Mon Aug 16 11:53:00 CDT 2010

Actually, should Iran be able to obtain or produce a nuclear warhead
capable of being launched on a missile (a seriously non-trivial
technical achievement, even when compared to the difficulty of making a
nuclear explosive device), Iran becomes a credible threat to the United
States.  Iran has developed the ability to launch ballistic missiles
from ships (not a particularly difficult task, particularly if your
targeting parameters are "east-ish").  A single very high altitude
nuclear explosion over the continental US would produce an EMP whose
effects are almost impossible to calculate.

That being said, we are nothing like at a place where panic is the best
option.  As we as a community have been telling the general public for
years, nuclear reactors do not equal nuclear bombs, either as reactors
exploding or spent fuel being easily turned into nuclear weapons.
International oversight of Iranian reactor operations should be able to
spot if materials and facilities are diverted for weapons use.  If the
inspectors are kicked out, that will be an important data point.

As for more direct action; at this point I don't see any realistic
options.  Any type of preemptive military action would be difficult to
accomplish, and have serious international ramifications.  Speaking as
someone who was out at the pointy end during the Cold War, saber
rattling seldom improves things.