[ RadSafe ] cesium 137 check source rate

Dixon, John E. (CDC/ONDIEH/NCEH) gyf7 at cdc.gov
Wed Aug 18 19:36:24 CDT 2010

Franz,
A "Geiger counter" could mean a number of things. First of all, the nomenclature describes the operational voltage range, i. e. Geiger-Muller - ~typically 900 volts DC, although there are detectors like this which operate at 550 volts DC. If that is the case, then there are several detectors out there which measure dose rate and are GM tubes. Secondly, a count rate meter such as a Geiger Counter CAN measure a dose rate if there is an applicable correction/calibration factor associated with it - i.e. XXX counts per minute per mr/hr for an applicable isotope- something like that.

Again, if it was shipped within the USA, then it is probably an exempt source. By the description, the source is probably a sealed source, which is even safer.

Please refrain from referring to anyone as a troll (you must read allot of Tolken...).

Regards,
John Dixon