[ RadSafe ] cesium 137 check source rate

Geo>K0FF GEOelectronics at netscape.com
Thu Aug 19 14:29:38 CDT 2010

Doug Aitken said: "I don't think there is any regulatory requirement for an
exempt source to be
so marked And AFAIK, this is not a common practice."

Actually the wording on exempt quantity sealed sources from Spectrum
Techniques contains the Trefoil, isotope, activity, date, half-life and the
words
"USNRC and State License Exempt Quantity".

However I also have check discs on Ludlum meters that have only the Trefoil,
isotope and activity in microCuries.

Disposal by a non licensee consists of removing or defacing the Trefoil then
dropping into the ordinary waste stream. Unlicensed persons may not sell,
give away or transfer unlicensed exempt quantities to another person, either
licensed or unlicensed. The wording for this has been vague in the past but
is now quite clear:

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/cfr/part030/part030-0018.html
Section 30.18 reminds us that one cannot stack or combine exempt quantity
sources in order to increase the radiation dose.

It is also quite clear that external markings on a shipment of exempt
quantity check sources is not only NOT required, it is prohibited. Internal
markings are required, see UN2910.

US NRC rules concerning ownership and use of  Byproduct Exempt Quantity
sealed sources could not be simpler. Section 30.71 Schedule B lists the
allowed quantities of all the listed isotopes.
http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/cfr/part030/part030-0071.html

George Dowell
GEOelectronics
New London Nucleonics Lab