[ RadSafe ] Facebook

Jean-Francois, Stephane stephane_jeanfrancois at merck.com
Wed Aug 25 14:53:33 CDT 2010

For Professional links, I uses LinkedIn. I don't have time for anything more and I simply don't like to share my ''status'' with people I call friends (distant reference to ''Hotel California'' ...)

Simply remember that what you put on these systems may be available for all, depending on your privacy set-ups and of course, all you put is owned by Facebook. If you have a good firewall and even better, you use a MAC, then viruses are not an issue at all, simply refrain from downloading !

Social networking on the web is a reality now and you don't go there if you don't want to be found...For a professionnal, for promoting a service or a discipline, these services (Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn) are a very popular tool. If you don't use them, the next generations will or are already on it, accessible from a phone. Professionnal Facebook or Twitter accounts like HPS or ICRP may worth it. You simply decide if you can live a decent life without being the first to know at 3:00 am...

What I would recommend : start with a very limited account and put only the minimum that you would be putting on this list for exemple. And see for yourself, this is a personnal call.  I found annoying on LinkedIn that one contact went on a successful business trip and find the need to share it. Extra info, no relevence to me, but yet, I receive it on my Iphone. So too much info may not be a good thing. But when you receive a twit that the new regs on radwaste is now available, that have another flavor.

Stéphane Jean-François
Stéphane Jean-François, Eng., M. Env., CHP. | Manager, Environment and Health Physics
Safety and Environment | Global Compliance
Merck Frosst Canada, Ltd. | 16711 TransCanada Hwy. | Kirkland, QC, Canada H9H 3L1
Office: #9-2-448 | P: 514-428-8695 | f:  514-428-8670 |
stephane_jeanfrancois at merck.com