[ RadSafe ] Chernobyl-land, "pigs"

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Tue Dec 21 16:42:48 CST 2010

Hi, Chris,

Thank you for this very short question! For me this is a heartwarming sign,
that on RADSAFE humour had not been killed yet, in spite of obvious
attempts. I hope my reply will be received accordingly!

A clear and short answer "No I do not go pig hunting." But - as short
answers have to have this "but", there are several reasons, some of them
being semantic and even more practical:

"Pig", translated into German and obviously also in all other languages I
know (they are quite a few!) means the domesticated pig, which delights us
with its cutlets, ham, knuckles, liver, even kidney and other special parts
of its muscles, which are used in dozens of different dishes. It is usually
kept in custody, most often in barns and sometimes has a sad life indoor,
being fed all kind of rubbish from other agricultural practices.

Then we have those "lucky" creatures, who are kept outside barns in open
air, feed on or are fed with "real food". I never have understood, why an
animal which is anyway slaughtered has to be called "lucky".....

Next step in the hierarchy: I have been recently for more than two months in
Sevilla, Spain, not for the first time. In Southern Spain, Andalusia, there
is a race of really black "pigs", (called "pata negra" (black feet). A large
part of them is kept in areas with plenty of oak trees, the bark of which is
used as corks in the wine and spirit industry. Those pata negras, fattened
from the fruits of the oak trees are the ideal material for producing a very
special ham, salted and dried for usually several years. If you or other
RADSAFErs ever have a chance to get hold into "jamon serrano" of "cerdo
iberico" (iberian pig - pata negra), "bellota" (oak fruit fed)- try it!
There are of course more open secrets on these animals - just question me. I
drove home with my car with three "jamon serrano" for my "children". I know
for sure that neither during the Chernobyl accident nor any time after there
were any concentration values measured coming even close by orders of
magnitude to any level of concern.

But the second big part of the question raised is "wild boar"!!!! A wild
boar cannot at all be compared with a pig in a stable - look at them!!! Also
semantically they are in the languages I know strictly differentiated.
Radiation Protection......

Wild boars roam in the forests, eat whatever eatable they find, they dig for
roots, for worms, underground mushrooms like truffles, etc. etc. I have done
with a good friend a longlasting research programme after the Chernobyl
accident. More has been done in Bavaria - all the results should be
available on the internet. What is mostly forgot is that not only activity
concentration is of concern for the dose but also the amount of intake!!!

I "hope" that my musings about this theme, will feel RADSAFErs easier to
find pleasure in not to tightly woven topic nets, discovering the broadness
of questions associated with Radiation Protection.

With my best regards to all of you!

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD
MinRat i.R.