[ RadSafe ] Impact of Cs-137 on Children's Lung Function

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 14:18:10 CDT 2010

Dear Group:

Back on May 22, I posited that there would likely be a correlation between
the socioeconomic conditions surrounding the Chernobyl accident and the
deposition of radionuclides (R/Ns). I stated this because, in part, I had to
visit areas in the Gomel Province of Belarus in order to obtain an
understanding from the officials in the impacted area for the proposed use
of contaminated forest material in biomass power stations.  In areas of high
contamination, commercial forestry had been abandoned because of regulatory
concern for the use of contaminated construction materials.  Since the
principal industry in the area is forestry followed by farming, this placed
an unusually severe economic burden on the people living in the Contaminated
Territories.  Thus, I connected the poor socioeconomics with the health of
children.

I authored / coauthored the following two papers at thet time:
McCarn, D., Dubovik, L., Iakoushev, A., and Grebenkov, A. (1996): The
Ecological-Commerce (ECO-COM) Zone Concept for Developing Biomass Energy
from Contaminated Resources: A New Demonstration Zone for the Republic of
Belarus, in International Topical Meeting on Nuclear and Hazardous Waste
Management, Seattle, Washington, August 18-23, 1996, pp. 1417-1424.

Grebenkov, A. and McCarn, D.W. (1996): The US-Belarus Joint Projects
Associated with Remediation of the Chernobyl Contaminated Sites,
Environmental Opportunities in Central and Eastern Europe and the Newly
Independent States, in Partnerships for Solutions Forum, Colorado School of
Mines, Golden, Colorado, p. 19-35.

I have since been in contact with my co-author, Alexander Grebenkov,
regarding the timing of these regulatory pronouncements and the changes in
the socioeconomics of the impacted areas.  He is looking into it.

I am not currently in a position to pursue this line of research very far
and there are individuals within the group that have extensive experience in
the design of statistically sensitive models.

Is anyone interested in pursuing this assuming we can get the socioeconomic
information and the go-ahead from Sasha Grebenkov?

Best,

Dan ii

(From May 22, 2010)
Dear Group:

The area around Chernobyl is one of the most impoverished areas of Belarus
and Ukraine. Diets are short of fruit, meat and vitamin deficiencies are
common as are diseases related to vitamin deficiencies. In some ways, the
area reminded me of the rural South of the depression era. Since I am from
rural Alabama, I have some personal knowledge of this kind of grinding
poverty.

A pediatrician from Chernobyl was quoted as saying, "Every time I see a
child which might have immune-deficiency disease from the Chernobyl
accident, all I have to do is go to the child's home and see that the root
cause is poverty and malnutrition." Perhaps my experience from working there
only two years (1995-1996) is insufficient to understand all of the issues,
but it was very clear to me that the poverty was profound.

Before I began working in Belarus in early 1995, I checked with the IAEA's
medical services for potential risks. Their recommendation was to have a DPT
booster (diphtheria, pertussis & tetanus) because the area was identified by
WHO as a high risk area for diphtheria and pertussis.  This is also an
indicator of poor health-care delivery in the area and has little to do with
the Chernobyl accident per se.

A secondary issue overlooked by this paper and most other papers on
Chernobyl effects is that the primary industries of farming and timber were
made uneconomic following the Chernobyl accident.  The forestry industry was
suspended in areas of high concentrations of radionuclides, most likely in
the same zones with a correlation with pulmonary disease in children.  The
areal distribution of R/Ns, especially those areas of higher concentrations
most certainly caused a bad economic situation to worsen. Poor economics and
health issues are always highly correlated.

In my opinion, it does major disservice to the people of the Chernobyl area
to suggest that every issue is caused by radiation. As mentioned by Kjell
Johansen, Cs-137 deposition is probably a good indicator for asbestos and
other contaminants and I posit that it is also a good indicator of local
economics. I believe that the issues and causes go much deeper than
contaminants and radiation.

These children are some of the most susceptible to pulmonary disease due to
the above-mentioned issues, namely poverty, malnutrition and poor
health-care delivery.

I would be willing to bet that the areas of high Cs-137 contamination are
also the most impoverished. And the most impoverished areas are also those
areas that have the highest health risks for children.  An interesting study
of these data would include correlating the local economics with the
distribution of pulmonary disease and other diseases that are associated
with poverty & malnutrition.

Respectfully,

Dan ii

--