[ RadSafe ] Two interesting papers on DNA repair mechanisms radiation is secular

blreider at aol.com blreider at aol.com
Fri Jul 2 14:37:43 CDT 2010

Ah, but low LET radiation breaks in DNA are thought to be statistically most likely due to secondary transfer of energy to molecules, free radical formation etc. not direct hits.  Indirect  damage - everything I have heard indicates this are also random but when I was around researchers on this subject molecular biology was not as advanced as it is now so perhaps there is more information on mechanisms.

Barbara Reider, CHP