[ RadSafe ] A modest proposal

Bailly, Helen A Helen.Bailly at icp.doe.gov
Wed Jul 7 09:05:46 CDT 2010

FYI

"A Modest Proposal" is also the commonly known title of a classic bit of
satire by Jonathan Swift regarding the poverty in Ireland in the 18th
century - the actual title of the essay is: "A Modest Proposal For
Preventing the Children of Poor People in Ireland from Being a Burden to
Their Parents or Country, and for Making Them Beneficial to the Public"

It is a basic staple of the genre in the study of world literature,
especially western world literature. The pamphlet Swift published
anonymously in 1729 is a sustained irony highlighting the British
officials in charge of Ireland -

I suspect the satirical nature of this modest proposal as well. Satire
is not Science, but it doesn't hurt the scientific world to be aware of
the genre....

helen Bailly
Radiation Dosimetry & Records
Senior Dosimetry Technician
INL
(208) 533-0730

Life is short - Break the rules!  Forgive quickly!  Kiss slowly!  Love
truly! Laugh uncontrollably!... And never regret anything that made you
smile.