[ RadSafe ] RadSafe Digest, Vol 362, Issue 1

blreider at aol.com blreider at aol.com
Fri Jul 23 17:26:06 CDT 2010

Clayton & RadSafers,

I believe Illinois used to have quite a robust agreement state oversight program, perhaps they do not inspect known stored souces with the same frequently as sources in use.  I find it surprising that the program would not be required to have good records especially as concerns therapy sources, and that the safety department would not be in the loop on where rad safety involvement is needed.   More information is needed before determining the root and contributing causes of the incident.

The great beekeeper (D.S.) of INPO taught me that the root cause is almost always management failure.  I do know of a (very) few cases where it was not, for example I don't think managment should be held responsible for a rogue bee flying into a car and stinging the driver.

Is there a process that allows agreement states to revert to non-agreement status if they cannot fulfill the tasks of maintaining proper oversight?  I have never seen the NRC revoke agreement state status.  I don't mean to imply that this one incident reflects on  Illinois' program, I am just asking in general since Clayton brought up the issue of the potential demise of good agreement programs due to the economy.

Barbara Reider, CHP