[ RadSafe ] RadSafe Digest, Vol 362, Issue 1

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 11:48:51 CDT 2010

Dear Lieber Franz:

Clayton was certainly not promoting the abandonment of sources, but
laying-out 2 important issues: 1) Corporate knowledge is lost when
experienced people leave; and 2)Work load for those remaining increases
until it is impossible to cope with all situations.  There is a thrid
implicit issue - that politics drive public employment.

I remember during my 8 year tenure with the IAEA, there was never overlap
between the time that an incumbebt left a post and when their replacement
arrived.  Normlly, there was a gap of 3-6 months. Programs and incentives
that had been promoted with vigor were often lost before the new arrival
found his voice.  Resources that had been allocated for programs were
re-assigned before the new guy had a chance to use them. They had to start
over from scratch.

Franz, these are the realities that are faced. New York State has a
population of 20 million, over twice the population of Austria (8 million)
and 1.5 times the area of Austria.  Lots of work and a decline of
experienced staff.

Dan ii

--
Dan W McCarn, Geologist