[ RadSafe ] BLOOD SMEARS

blreider at aol.com blreider at aol.com
Mon Jul 26 20:47:11 CDT 2010

Ken:

You need to tell people what the isotope(s) you are dealing with are.

I don't know about smears but I had to do LSC of the blood dripping out of a wound once. Pu-239 was suspected.  The internal dosimtry of this is crude and guesswork at best.  With LSC you just use color quench curves and estimate the volume.  I also had to smear the glassware that caused the cut to see how much Pu-239 was on that.  Sometimes you have to use the best guess.  This was so long ago I have no tech basis available anymore, each case is so dirfferent that I don't know that you will find a one size fits all tech basis.  I'd be curious to know if you do find something.

Barbara Reider, CHP