[ RadSafe ] Lost sources at Illinois Hospital

Clayton J Bradt CJB01 at health.state.ny.us
Tue Jul 27 08:47:28 CDT 2010

You're missing the point, Franz. No one was making excuses for the
incident. Of course the licensee is to be held accountable. The point is
that there are reasons for things like this happening, and a common one is
the gap in licensee oversight that can occur when the RSO changes.  It is
not supposed to happen, but it does.  The point of regulation is not to
punish mistakes after they happen - though this is a necessary component of
the process - rather it is to try to prevent these kinds of mistakes in the
first place.   You can write all the rules you want, and make them ever
more prescriptive (and onerous), but no systems of regulations will police
themselves.  In my experience, the best way to improve compliance by
licensees is frequent contact with regulators - boots on the ground, if you
will.  There is no substitute for knowledgeable and experienced inspectors
with sufficient time and resources to do their jobs.

Clayton J. Bradt
Principal Radiophysicist
NYS Dept. of Health
Biggs Laboratory, Room D486A
Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12201-0509

518-474-1993

Franz Schönhofer <franz.schoenhofer at chello.at> wrote on 07/26/2010 06:42:47
PM:

> Franz Schönhofer <franz.schoenhofer at chello.at>
> 07/26/2010 06:43 PM

> "'Doug Aitken'" <jdaitken at sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com>, "'Clayton J
> Bradt'" <CJB01 at health.state.ny.us>, <blreider at aol.com>,
> <radsafe at health.phys.iit.edu>
>
> cc
>
> Subject
>
> AW: [ RadSafe ] Lost sources at Illinois Hospital
>
> Dough,
>
> Gratulations! This is the only reasonable comment on the topic I read
until
> now. You really got to the point!!! It is not the fault of the licensing
> authority if licensees do not follow the licensing conditions!!!
>
> Is it the fault of traffic autorities, if car drivers exceed the maximum
> allowed speed???
>
> This discussion is rather annoying - violators should be punished and not
be
> allowed to make excuses, like "change of RSO", "not in use any more" etc.
> Not even in Austria, which is known for such "excuses" these would be
> honoured.
>
> Best regards.
>
> Franz
>
> Franz Schoenhofer, PhD