[ RadSafe ] RadSafe Digest, Vol 368, Issue 1

Thu Jul 29 17:23:39 CDT 2010

Hi, Jack.

> Why would I jeopardize my RSO certification, or my company's ability
to provide these services, by falsifying records?

I would never imply that you would, but I would also submit that there
are people out there in a lot of fields that not only would, but do.
The reason?  Money.  Your example of the mother-daughter team is an
excellent example (and do you believe they are the only tax preparers in
the US who inflate deductions?)  By the numbers you gave, they broke the
rules to get their clients an average of $50 more in deductions (I'll
bet it was actually a few getting much bigger deductions).  I don't know
if the mother-daughter team benefited from higher fees or more clients,
but either way, the money wasn't that good.  But they did it anyway.

> In fact, I declined to certify several devices that my predecessor had
certified because the owner or device was non-compliant with
regulations.

So, there was something about the situation that led your predecessor to
do something that you didn't think was right.  I commend you for your
behavior, but I don't think it necessarily argues against my point.

>The statistical sampling was sufficient for them to identify a weakness
that they can now pursue in detail. I think that's the right approach
(probably because that's also how I do independent assessments). And if
state regulators can review the processes of third-party certifiers (or
laboratory accreditations) to infer the compliance of a larger number of
licensees, that seems highly efficient to me.

This works as long as the state regulatory agency has the resources to
do high quality reviews and the power to enforce decisions.  Indeed,
even if the process is handled entirely within a state agency, they
still need the review process.

> Maybe states will start certifying assessors to perform that function
as a way to cope with budget cuts; they already use professional
engineer certifications for any number of other functions, such as for
approving contingency plans.

I remain unconvinced that contractors are inherently less expensive than
government employees, at least for ongoing functions.  In any event, I
see little reason to believe that without government requirements, with
actual enforcement powers, members of the regulated community wouldn't
see the economic value (short term) of not bothering with all those
annoying tests and inspections.  Especially if the cost of failure would
be borne by someone else.