[ RadSafe ] lapel monitors for potential airborne alpha particulates

grahnk at comcast.net grahnk at comcast.net
Fri Jul 30 06:25:54 CDT 2010

Over the years, we've seen a significant difference in levels when comparing work area monitors to lapel sampling.  Even with agressive dust control measures, workers handling tarps for daily cover of contaminated soils had the highest exposures.  The differences were 500 to 1500 times the area monitors on occasion.   Then again, training is an issue.  Equipment operators and truck drivers tend to set them on the floor of their cab and vaccuum the floor mats and we got the occasional abnormally high value.

Kelly Grahn

Illinois Emergency Management, Nuclear Safety