[ RadSafe ] Efficiency of Workers Wearing Respiratory Protection

Wed Jun 9 16:20:43 CDT 2010

Not necessarily; it depends on what conditions apply.  For example,
firefighters wearing Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) are more
effective than those who are not, because they can go places and stay
places that unprotected people can't function in.  There are plenty of
situations where dust and fumes would leave an unprotected person
impaired in the short term, to say nothing of the long term.

I suspect there are hot conditions where supplied air would improve the
efficiency of workers, even more than the equipment might slow them
down.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu
[mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Treadaway,
Walter A
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 2:04 PM
To: radsafe at health.phys.iit.edu
Subject: [ RadSafe ] Efficiency of Workers Wearing Respiratory
Protection

It seems logical to assume that a worker doing a job wearing respiratory
protection would be slower than the same worker without respiratory
protection.  However, I can't find a reference in a peer-reviewed
publication to support this assumption.
Does anyone have a reference "in their back pocket" or can anyone point
me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Allen Treadaway for Ron Morgan, LANL