[ RadSafe ] Efficiency of Workers Wearing Respiratory Protection

Jess L. Addis III ajess at clemson.edu
Wed Jun 9 20:42:35 CDT 2010

Way back in the good ole days when I worked in real heavy duty operational
applications of health physics, those of us who thought we "knew what we
were doing" factored in use of full face respirators vs. whole body
exposure.

I remember the first time I pulled a reactor vessel head without full face
respirators. People reeled about the mistake I was making. Made sure we had
degassed under the vessel head as well as possible. The evolution went much
faster and smoother than it had previously gone.  Communications were much,
much better than we had experienced before and something like .5 mpc hour Co
and Cs.

Some of us used to make the same sort of "calculation" when it came to using
plastic anti contamination apparel. Heat prostration vs. a little skin
contamination was an easy decision to make for some of us. I have seen more
than enough people reeling from heat exhaustion and come closer to death
than comfortable from prostration.

I hadn't seen the 15% factor William, but it sure makes sense to me.

Larry Addis, RSO
Clemson U.