[ RadSafe ] Airport Body Scanners

Ed Hiserodt hise at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 7 10:36:26 CST 2010

I recently received this email from a friend who thinks that I know
something about radiation since I wrote a book on the beneficial effects of
LLR.  Hey, when did writing on a subject and having any knowledge of it
become synonymous?   (Remember Al Gore?)  Anyway here is his question.  Any
comments on it would be appreciated.

"Regarding the virtual strip-search machines that will be appearing at
airports across the country, how much radiation do they actually release and
how does this compare to the radiation we are normally exposed to anyway?
How dangerous are these machines, if at all, for someone who does a lot of
flying?  I understand that there are two technologies the TSA uses to peer
through clothing:

"One uses millimeter waves - does this involve any radiation; is it
completely safe?

"The other is the backscatter X-ray."

Ed Hiserodt

Maumelle, AR