[ RadSafe ] Cardiolite Fate

Glenn R. Marshall GRMarshall at philotechnics.com
Wed May 19 07:28:26 CDT 2010

Several years ago in a prior job we had a worker set off the alarm on the PCM at our facility, showing facial contamination.  He swore that he hadn't been in any production areas but merely walked through the building and had to monitor on the way out.  After a lengthy discussion, he remembered his wife had some medical procedure done earlier that day and the doctor told them not to have any contact for a few days.  But he kissed his wife on his way out the door as always.  So we had him spit in a beaker and ran a gamma spec.  I-131.  He had to work in the office until he cleared the monitors.  The poor guy was nicknamed Hotlips ever since.  Quite embarrassing, although it could have been much more so if you know what I mean....

So the moral of the story is this:
If your significant other can take a joke, get radioactive and fool around.  Then send her to work in a radiological facility.

Glenn Marshall, CHP, RRPT