[ RadSafe ] Cardiolite Fate

Hoffman, Daniel E Daniel.Hoffman at covidien.com
Wed May 19 08:10:29 CDT 2010

All -- It is well documented that I-131 administration can cause direct
transfer of contamination from one individual to another; however, I
have not seen nor heard of such an instance from patients administered
with Tc-99m or Tl-201.  Our experience is that it may take several days;
even up to several weeks after a Tl-201 imaging procedure for an
individual to clear a portal monitor, depending on the dose and type of
procedure.  Our practice is to keep folks out of areas with potential
surface contamination issues until they can clear the monitors.

Dan Hoffman

Daniel E. Hoffman, CHP, CSP
Radiation Safety Officer
Covidien