[ RadSafe ] Cardiolite Fate

Phil Rutherford email at philrutherford.com
Wed May 19 23:51:06 CDT 2010

Several years ago, I also had a cardiac stress test and took some post procedure measurements with Bicron microrem meter.   Seven hours after treatment, the exposure rate was 17 mR/hr on contact at stomach level and 20 microR/hr (twice background) at 30 feet. Exposure rate on contact at chest level after 2 days was ~2 mR/hr, and after 7 days was ~0.5 mR/hr.  After 3 weeks, exposure rates were indistiguishable from background.  Plots of the measurements are shown at http://www.philrutherford.com/Stress_Test_2003.pdf.  The two distinctive decays of the 6 hr Tc-99m and the slower 73 hour Tl-201 are readily apparent on chart 4.  Cumulative dose on contact was almost 600 mrem over a period of almost 3 weeks.  Several years later, I had a repeat test and wore a special-issued inward-facing TLD at stomach level 24 hours a day (except in the shower) for three weeks.  The measured exposure was 800 mrem.

Phil Rutherford
email at philrutherford.com
www.philrutherford.com