[ RadSafe ] CT vs. X-Ray for reduction of Cancer Death

Perle, Sandy SPerle at mirion.com
Sun Nov 7 17:40:04 CST 2010

Jerry and others,

My primary premise is that assuming the 20% reduction is due to better detection, and I believe that is the case, I don't believe that we should go out and give everyone a CT scan, not only to detect other cases, but to provide a benefit to the radiation dose.

I recognize Ed's references. I don't know that one can simply extrapolate the results of some studies and statistics to what benefit there would be if we exposed a significant % of the population.

If it were an absolute conclusion that the need for any dose reduction was not prudent, then all of us in the radiation protection field have wasted a lot of time and effort.

Note that the NRC is evaluating lowering the regulatory dose limits to be consistent with the majority of other counties. I see no need in that and believe current regulatory limits are adequate enough. Perhaps the limits could even be relaxed a bit.

Regards,

Sandy Perle
Sent from my Windows phone from AT&T