[ RadSafe ] Research shows CT and nuclear imaging tests during pregnancy do not boost the risk of childhood cancer

garyi at trinityphysics.com garyi at trinityphysics.com
Mon Oct 4 21:28:48 CDT 2010

Doll et all (yuk yuk  :)
wrote that selection bias was not proven, and that Mole showed such bias was unlikely based
on twin studies.

Doll OUGHT to have shown selection bias could NOT account for the measured mortality
increase.  Evidence from Mole seems weak, based on small study size (70 twin lukemias, 91
twin cancers).  Further, near the end of that paper, Mole attempts to reconcile the significant
difference in results between atomic bomb survivors and the OSCC data, essentially by
assuming hormesis.  Here's a quote:

    On the other hand, the basic assump- tions underlying these comparisons may be in
    error.   It is not in fact the case that  increasing  radiation  dose  always leads to an
    increased frequency of induced malignancy (Mole, 1973).  It is the general rule, both
    in experimental work and in observations on man, that there is  an optimum radiation
    dose and that for larger exposures the frequency of induc- tion per unit dose
    decreases.  There is an elementary radiobiological reason for this.   Whatever the
    mechanism of cancer induction, there must be a multiplication of the transformed cell
    or cells before the cancer  can  become  clinically  evident. Ionizing radiation can kill
    cells and can sterilize them so that, though viable for a time,  they cannot reproduce.
    Thus, the observed frequency of induced malig- nant  disease  after  doses  in  the
    cell sterilizing range will always be less than the frequency expected from the induc-
    tion process.

Maybe I'm reading that wrong, but it kinda sounds like the ABS had fewer fatal cancers from
antenatal irradiation because they got more dose.

Abstracts from at least one of Mole's later works (after the twins study) suggest that he did
not accept the LNT model.  (Br J Radiol. 1987 Jan;60(709):17-31.)

    Clonal hypotheses predict that there will be a virtual threshold for polycystic (non-
    stochastic) forms of radiation damage. It may be misguided to adopt a linear dose-
    response relationship for deriving risk estimates for the practical purposes of
    radiological protection unless some mechanism for production of clinically evident
    harm can be advanced which provides a plausible reason for expecting linearity.

If he felt the twins study was so strong, why would he later write something like that?  Also, I
see the error bars on most of the studies in the Doll paper extend to relative risk values less
than 1.

Two animal studies cited in the Doll study:
Rats exposed in utero to 266 cGy, vs exposure at 3 and 9 mos. Per the abstract, the higher
sensitivity in utero was mainly in organogenesis, which we already knew.  Besides, what is
this 266 cGy study supposed to tell us about medical imaging doses, or LNT?  The other
animal study showed a "small increase in cancer" for beagles exposed in utero to 83 cGy, vs
a 16 cGy control group.  I didn't actually read it or the abstract, but that doesn't sound like
great evidence for anything.  If they had asked me, I would have told them before hand that
the 83 cGy group would have higher morbidity/mortality than the 16 cGy group.  Duh.

What do they teach these kids now a days in school, hmm?

-Gary Isenhower