[ RadSafe ] Checking Arithmetic: Keeping an open mind Are we keeping an open mind?

Kai Kaletsch eic at shaw.ca
Sat Oct 23 22:59:48 CDT 2010

Hi Dan,

we seem to disagree by 3+ orders of magnitude. Please comment:

6 E9 tonnes CO2 = 6 E 15 g CO2
Ocean surface = 3.61 E14 m2 (from Wikipedia)
That works out to 17 g CO2 /m2, rather than 0.017

Someone else pointed out that it should be 32 E9 tonnes CO2, rather than 6
E9 tonnes. That takes us to 90 g/m2 that the ocean would need to take care
of, in addition to the current 62 g/m2.

Cheers,
Kai

Kai Kaletsch