[ RadSafe ] interesting new question

Clayton J Bradt CJB01 at health.state.ny.us
Fri Oct 29 10:11:21 CDT 2010

I'm not sure what you mean, but the situation you seem to be describing
sounds like it would fall under NYS regulation of industrial radiation
sources, once it was detected.  Any equipment that emits ionizing
radiation > 0.5 mR per hour measured 5 cm from the surface would at least
have to be registered.  But if the radiation production is unintended and
even unsuspected, it would go unregulated.

Clayton J. Bradt
Principal Radiophysicist
NYS Dept. of Health
Biggs Laboratory, Room D486A
Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12201-0509

518-474-1993

Scott Davidson <bsdnuke at gmail.com>
10/29/2010 10:29 AM

Clayton J Bradt <cjb01 at health.state.ny.us>
cc

Subject
Re: [ RadSafe ] interesting new question

A very interesting comment.  Now innocent or inadvertent exposure to
x-rays is not under purview of anyone except if it is recognized, OSHA
but I won't go there.

I have consulted to industrial clients that had cages around medium
voltage breakers and relays because of production of x-rays.  Think of
it.  If the breaker is open and the device is holding potential energy
at, say 50 kV, there is nothing to prevent boil off of some electrons
which will cross the gap and make x-rays.  When we have a very small
amount of current compared to what is routinely conducted through a
breaker or relay, they don't trip but you will see x-rays.

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Clayton J Bradt
<CJB01 at health.state.ny.us> wrote:
> The use of x-ray producing devices is regulated by the states.  As was
> states previously, FDA has regulations for the manufacture of such
> devices, but the users of the devices do so under state authority.  In
New
> York State, the public health law states (roughly) that it is illegal
for
> anyone other than a licensed practitioner to apply ionizing radiation to
> humans.  Unless the operator of one of these backscatter vans is a
> physician, PA, dentist, podiatrist, or x-ray technician working under
the
> direction of a physician, their use for irradiating humans is strictly
> forbidden.  The doses involved are irrelevant.  Furthermore, any medical
> professional ordering the use of x-ray equipment on humans for purely
> security reasons (i.e. no medical benefit to the patient) would probably
> risk loss of his/her license to practice.  More importantly, the
resulting
> malpractice suits would bankrupt the insurance companies.
>

> Clayton J. Bradt
> Principal Radiophysicist
> NYS Dept. of Health
> Biggs Laboratory, Room D486A
> Empire State Plaza
> Albany, NY 12201-0509
>
> 518-474-1993
>
> IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure. It is
intended only for the addressee. If you received this in error or from
someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
distribute, copy or use it or any attachments. Please notify the sender
immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your system. Thank you
for your cooperation.