[ RadSafe ] Export of exempt quantity Calibration sources?:

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 16:51:06 CDT 2010

Hi Hermon:

The international (IAEA), IATA and USDOT / USNRC regulations are consistent
with each other for exempt sources.  See IAEA Publication 1225 - TS-R-1
(2005), IATA and 49 CFR 173.403. As long as the total of the
activity fractions in a shipment is less than one (1), there should be no
problems since that quantity is exempt from shipment labeling issues. If the
total of the activity fraction exceeds the value of 1, then labelling
(UN2910) is required. At least, that is my understanding as a geologist!

Understand that the term "exempt" has two meanings: 1) Exempt from
licensing; and 2) Exempt from labeling requiements. Sources may be exempt
from licensing, but if the aggregate of the activity fractions exceed the
value of 1, then the package is not exempt from labelling. They would then
require a UN2910 label.

I shipped both to and from France with no issues. I placed documentation
(receipts, P.O., and a declaration inside the package with the sources.
Attached is the document that I used minus the photographs of the sources.

I would recommend contacting the national authority to confirm that they
comply with the IAEA and IATA transport regulations.

Hope this helps!

Dan ii

Dan W McCarn, Geologist
108 Sherwood Blvd
Los Alamos, NM 87544-3425
+1-505-672-2014 (Home - New Mexico)
+1-505-670-8123 (Mobile - New Mexico)
HotGreenChile at gmail.com (Private email) HotGreenChile at gmail dot com

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu
[mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of HERMONRAO2 at aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 14:43
To: radsafe at health.phys.iit.edu
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Export of exempt quantity Calibration sources?:

Hi All:
Are there any NRC or DOT regulatory requirement that prohibit or  restrict
the shipment of exempt quantity calibration sources for typical gamma
spectrometric and or alpha spectrometric system to any educational
institution in foreign country say for example Saudi Arabia or Iraq or other
countries that may have special interest by US State department? If there
are  any 
regulatory requirements in this matter.. Could somebody direct me   where it

would be found in the CFR code? Thanks
Hermon Rao
Nuclear Technology Services, Inc.
635 Hembree Parkway
Roswell, GA 30076
You are currently subscribed to the RadSafe mailing list

Before posting a message to RadSafe be sure to have read and understood the
RadSafe rules. These can be found at:

For information on how to subscribe or unsubscribe and other settings visit:
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Declaration of Exempt Consignment Status _2a_.pdf
Type: application/pdf
Size: 87816 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://health.phys.iit.edu/pipermail/radsafe/attachments/20100907/5bd84a31/attachment.pdf>

More information about the RadSafe mailing list