[ RadSafe ] If they really want a SNF repository...

Jaro Franta jaro-10kbq at sympatico.ca
Thu Sep 23 18:16:11 CDT 2010

Thanks Dan,

Here's a fairly recent update on the Private Fuel Storage's commercial spent
fuel storage facility in Utah.....

NUCLEONICS WEEK JULY 29, 2010
Federal court decision could revive PFS spent fuel storage project

A federal district court decision July 26 overturned decisions
by the US Department of Interior that had blocked
construction of Private Fuel Storage's commercial spent fuel
storage facility in Utah.
The court remanded PFS' right-of-way application and
lease of tribal land to DOI for further consideration.
Following a series of delays in the DOE's repository project
at Yucca Mountain, Nevada in the mid-1990s, nuclear
utility consortium PFS planned to build an away-from-reactor
spent fuel storage facility that would allow members to
move up to 40,000 metric tons of spent reactor fuel from
their reactor sites to the storage facility.
Though PFS obtained an NRC license in 2006 to build
and operate the spent fuel storage facility, DOI's Bureau of
Land Management denied the consortium's request for a
right-of-way across tribal land owned by the Skull Valley
Band of Goshute Indians, saying there were too many unanswered
questions about the project. DOI also denied
approval of the PFS-Goshute long-term lease of Goshute tribal
land on which the facility would be built.
The court this week remanded both PFS' applications to
DOI for reconsideration.
The decision by the US District Court for the District of
Utah on July 26 comes as DOE moves toward its September
30 target date for terminating the Yucca Mountain repository
project. But whether the department can legally withdraw
the repository license application is an issue before the NRC
and a federal appeals court (NuclearFuel, 26 July, 1).
The district court called the DOI decision to deny PFS a
right-of-way to build and operate an intermodal transport
system on federal land "arbitrary and capricious, and an
abuse of discretion." The system would be used to transfer
loaded shipping casks from rail cars to trucks for transport to
the PFS storage facility 24 miles away.
The storage facility would consist of concrete pads where
storage casks containing utility spent fuel would be placed
and monitored. Though PFS selected off-the-shelf dry storage
technology for the facility, it took NRC nearly nine years
to issue a licensing determination that allowed the project.
Storage space at the facility would be open to consortium
members first and then to outside utilities wishing to buy
space.
-Elaine Hiruo, Washington