[ RadSafe ] Understanding anti-nukes...

Jerry Cohen jjcohen at prodigy.net
Fri Sep 24 13:26:28 CDT 2010

     It is really naive to believe that anti-nuke opposition to siting NW or
SNF facilities stems from some kind of fear for their health and safety.
Simply stated, they just don't want to live in a world where nuclear power,
weapons , or anything nuclear exists. They learned everything they need to
know from Hiroshima, Nagasaki, On the Beach,  China Syndrome, and Silkwood.
The main reason for their opposition to siting nucwaste facilities is that
for impeding nuclear development,  IT WORKS. As we are aware, approval of
NPP's is dependant on having  acceptible waste management  facilities and
lack of such facilities has  served as  an effective deterrent to nuclear
development. This effectivness stems from a symbiotic condition between the
anti-nukes, politicians, government bureaucrats, contractors, and scientists
researching an acceptable solution. Over the past several decades, nucwaste
management research has been an abundant funding source for everyone
involved and, of course, nobody wants to kill the goose that lays the golden
eggs. Previously, on radsafe, I conjectured that if anyone should ever find
an acceptable HLW disposal method, they would likely be lynched by a pack of
crazed geologists ;-)
     I wish I could suggest how to solve this problem. In any case, I
believe such any such  solution must stem from a realistic understanding of
the nature of the problem.

Jerry Cohen