[ RadSafe ] 600 years

Stewart Farber radproject at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 24 17:39:56 CDT 2010

Hi Mr. Richel,

A good overview of the decay of
 radioactivity in spent fuel is found in a recent review paper written by Dr. Bernard Cohen. This review gives some good graphs of the decay of various isotopes with time. This 2008 review at the link below is largely based on journal papers published by Dr. Cohen back in the 1970s or so which Dr. Beckman would have seen when he penned his general comments to which  you refer. I believe there was
 also a lengthly article which appeared in Scientific American magazine in the late 1970s which also highlighted the rapid decay of activity in HLW. See, the link below for the recent review by Cohen:

<http://www.marshall.org/pdf/materials/591.pdf>

Also see the link below for a review by the Institute of Nuclear Materials Management:

<http://www.inmm.org/Content/NavigationMenu/AboutINMM/TechnicalDivisions/Waste_Mgmt_Tutorial_Text.pdf>

and see:
<http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:vfQe56w9TKcJ:www.inmm.org/about/tech_div/WMDTutorial.doc+nuclear+waste+600+years+ore+activity&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a>

For those who do not know of the newsletter by Dr. Petr Beckman, Access to Energy, it was a wonderfully interesting newsletter offering information in a style which was totally unique. There is an online library of the 25 years this newsletter was published:

<http://www.accesstoenergy.com/view/ate/s41p1043.htm>

Dr. Beckman also wrote many highly technical books [but accessible to scientists], and an interesting short book, "The history of Pi" which is an easy read by anyone with an interest in how Pi played an important role in the history of mankind.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health

Farber Medical Solutions, LLC
Linac & Imaging Equipment Brokerage

1285 Wood Ave.