[ RadSafe ] Thinking outside the tank

Wed Apr 6 13:35:56 CDT 2011

Hi, Franz.

I am not the least bit offended: I recognize that I am indeed a long way from the scene, both physically and information-wise.  I have no doubt that the people working the problem are more knowledgeable and perhaps smarter than myself.  On the other hand, the saying "When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember you are there to drain the swamp" can apply.

In this case there have been a lot of things done that are far outside the box, and I admire the creativity under pressure that has been displayed.  But I also recognize that in a crisis it can be very hard to see all the possibilities, especially ones that under normal circumstances would never be considered.

For all I know, this has been considered and rejected for sound technical reasons.  But it is also possible that it never occurred to them (if it had, it might well have been preferable to sea water, at least in some places.)

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu [mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Franz Schönhofer
Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2011 11:22 AM
To: 'The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) MailingList'
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Thinking outside the tank

Mike,

Not being an expert on nuclear reactors, partly on nuclear accidents
(Chernobyl), I would like to respectfully disagree. Having been in Japan on
invitation of the government and having visited no nuclear power plants, but
emergency and surveillance centers and systems I have the impression that
the Japanese collegues know quite well what to do in order to minimize the
damage. It is very easy to give good advices from far, far away, but another
thing is to deal with a disaster on the spot where it occurs. Availability
of machinery, work force, experts etc. is probably a much more important
factor than "rational" thinking. Your reasoning might be correct, but it
might be impossible (and I am convinced) to be applied in the circumstances
of an emergency or a chaos due to lack of infrastructure.

Hope you are not offended by my criticism - because I usually appreciate
your comments.

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD