[ RadSafe ] "higher than normal"

John R Johnson idias at interchange.ubc.ca
Sat Apr 9 12:01:37 CDT 2011

Thanks Franz, I agree.

John

----- Original Message -----
From: "Franz Schönhofer" <franz.schoenhofer at chello.at>
To: "RADSAFE" <radsafe at health.phys.iit.edu>
Sent: Saturday, April 09, 2011 9:35 AM
Subject: [ RadSafe ] "higher than normal"

RADSAFErs,

I have been annoyed by the expression and the "data" distributed by not only
RADSAFE but most  mass media. News always state concentrations of I-131 as
being higher by (please insert your number, but it should not be below 10
000) times than "normal" concentrations. What is this???? Since I-131 is a
radionuclide created  by nuclear fission it is artificial and is usually not
present in the environment. Only releases from nuclear weapons, nuclear
power-plants and nuclear medicine may result in  enhanced concentrations in
the environment, but only at a very short timespan. Anybody who had any
education in "radioactivity" should know that I-131 is not a radionuclide
being present in the environment and that it is used articificially to
detect and cure diseases of the thyroid, from where it might find its path
to the environment. Usually - at least in Europe - discharges of radioactive
hospital waste are well controlled.

So what? Usual concentrations of I-131 in the environement are zero (or if
you prefer "below detection limit"). Therefore messages of being above 10
E-X is bluntant nonsense. Zero times millions, billions or whatever is
according to simple mathematics simply "zero".

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD

MinRat i.R.

Habicherg. 31/7

A-1160 Wien/Vienna