[ RadSafe ] Ra-226 Static Eliminator Bar

Kenneth Marshall kenneth.marshall at carestream.com
Tue Apr 12 09:28:53 CDT 2011

I have seen similar bars, they are radium metal compression welded to a
thin  gold foil (visible under the mesh grid on the bar's front).
The weldment is then inserted in a metal housing and fitted with a screen
mesh - assuming to protect the bar foil from abrasion & contact.

They are used for static charge elimination  - alpha particles can pass
through the foil eliminating. static - . The alpha radiation creates a
cloud of ionized air - through this ionized air gives up its accumulated
excess electrical energy (static), thereby reducing or eliminating the
detrimental static.  These were in use by Kodak (or was when I was last
there in 2007) to remove static electricity in film in manufacturing -
although they generally have switched to similar bars containing
Americium-241 and or Polonium-210.  Variations are still made by NRD in
Grand Island, NY (USA).
http://www.nrdstaticcontrol.com/LinearIonizers.html

They were and are also common to use for static elimination in other
scientific applications like precision balance / mass measurements to
remove static electricity - they usually have a screw on the bottom to
affix a metal ground strap of some sort.

In my experience with these is that you can expect the foil itself to be
surface contaminated with radium from alpha recoil creep so avoid touching
the foil - the mesh should do this.  It would be prudent to wipe test the
mesh and entire item for contamination in my opinion.

-Ken

Kenneth Marshall, RRPT
Radiation & Laser Safety Officer
Caresream Health