[ RadSafe ] Suppression Pool Anyone?

Jeff Terry terryj at iit.edu
Tue Apr 12 13:03:45 CDT 2011

Hi Ed,

The suppression pool is the torus shaped device at the bottom of the reactor.
You can see an image here: http://www.nucleartourist.com/type/bwr.htm

In case of a pressure (steam) build up in the drywell, the pressure can be vented
into the wetwell (suppression pool). The wetwell has a large volume of water which
acts to cool the steam. The steam released from the reactor pressure vessel can
contain various radionuclides depending upon the amount of damage suffered
by the fuel rods.

This was the source of the radioactivity in the surpression pool.

Jeff

Jeff Terry
Asst. Professor of Physics
Life Science Bldg Rm 166