[ RadSafe ] Suppression Pool Anyone?

William Lipton doctorbill34 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 13:01:23 CDT 2011

For BWR's with a Mark 1 containment, the suppression pool, aka "torus," is a
donut shaped container, partially filled with water, that is below the
reactor vessel, and connected to the vessel by several large pipes, called
downcomers.  For normal operation, valves in the downcomers are closed, to
isolate the torus.  Under accident conditions, one option for dealing with
an overpressurized reactor is to open these valves. Steam from the reactor
vessel goes into the suppression pool, where it is condensed by the water,
to depressurize the reactor.

Bill Lipton
It's not about dose, it's about trust.