[ RadSafe ] Suppression Pool Anyone?

Rouse, Raymond Lawrence rlrouse at tva.gov
Tue Apr 12 13:00:29 CDT 2011

No a suppression pool is also known as a Torus, it is a giant heat sink
designed to supply water to the reactor in the event of a Loss of
Coolant Accident (LOCA). If the reactor suffers a severe pipe shear
water would drain into the Torus that water can be cooled and returned
back to the reactor using various systems. It is also design to relieve
pressure from the Drywell. If the Drywell is vented to the Torus the
over pressure can be relived using cooling system designed the spray the
contents with cold water ie. Torus spray.