[ RadSafe ] Developing Body of Evidence to Refute Mangano and

Hooker, Tony (EPA) Tony.Hooker at epa.sa.gov.au
Thu Apr 14 21:37:49 CDT 2011

Dear All,

I thought I would add my two bobs worth and stir the pot!!

Chris Busby is correct in only one thing and that is the current radiation protection risk model is wrong. If I put my research hat on into the biological effects of low dose radiation, it is quite clear that low doses of radiation (certainly below 50 mSv) are somewhat protective and biological mechanisms such as increased apoptosis of damaged cells, adaptive and bystander responses etc are being studied to determine how this works in vivo. Now in this area there really are 1,000's of published peer-reviewed articles spanning many years. If you haven't already, visit the US DOE Low Dose Radiation Research website where a considerable amount of investment is being put into this research (http://lowdose.energy.gov/).

Now, whilst I don't agree with the LNT model in terms of radiation risk, if I put my regulators hat on, the LNT model is easy to use, it makes everyone involved in the use of radiation at least consider the principles of radiation protection such as ALARA. Unless someone (ICRP??) decides on a threshold dose or a different model, I think we will be stuck with the LNT model for some time unfortunately which will mean that we will spend an inordinate amount of time and energy regulating doses of radiation that have no detrimental biological effect or are beneficial!! Why do we regulate doses of radiation that are below background levels?

I am also very sceptical of so called people who are referred to as experts in a particular area and then when you do a pub med or ISI Web of Knowledge search you can only find 1 article which refers to a radiation risk study (and 8 papers in total) in what appears to be a career spanning 40 years??  I often wonder what you have to do, firstly to become a professor?? and then to become "expert"!! The recent spate of so-called experts regarding Fukushima spruiking mis-truths in the media has been almost over-whelming and extremely frustrating for those of us who are involved in radiation protection work!

Just my thoughts.

Tony Hooker, PhD, B.Biotech(Hons),MARPS

Message: 1