[ RadSafe ] Atomic Deserts: A Survey of the World's RadioactiveNo-Go Zones - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Wed Apr 20 09:29:44 CDT 2011

Roger and RADSAFErs,

I have commented already several times on "Der Spiegel" - well, I can do it
one more time.

"Der Spiegel" is a pseudo intellectual weekly journal, openly anti-nuclear
(sorry, the politically correct expression is "critical against nuclear
power"), exposing "scandals" in Germany, especially political ones, which
are of no interest to any other country, ignores the German-Swiss
"Fachverband für Strahlenschutz", which is the organisation of all relevant
experts in radiation protection in Germany, Switzerland and has a lot of
members in Austria too, but prefers the "Gesellschaft für Strahlenschutz"
for "informations" and "scientific" comments. It is an agglomeration of
German charlatans, distributing fake alarming "news". Chris Busby
sympathises with the latter or even seems to be a member in the board.
(Sorry I do not waste my time to verify, whether my memory is correct.)

Forget everything that is distributed on "Der Spiegel".

My personal experience about the uninhabitable areas:

I have been twice in Hiroshima and once in Nagasaki. At the center and the
near vicinity of the explosion epicenters people are living in a normal way
except on these surfaces which have been dedicated to the memory of the
nuclear bomb victims.

I have been three weeks on Mururoa, of which a few days were spent in
Fangataufa, working there with sampling for the IAEA. I have also been in
the areas, where plutonium was spread in the course of "safety tests",
searching for hot particles and mapping the plutonium contamination. This
was about 15 years ago - I still live and I do not think that my ailments
with a knee and a shoulder have been caused by plutonium exposure.

Sorry, I would have much more examples for instance by my Spanish friends on
the Palomares accident, but I am coming more and more to the conclusion that
it does not make any sense to convince the "anti's", because (I repeat) "I
made up my mind, don't disturb me with facts."

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD
MinRat i.R.